Swiss Meringue Buttercream is my favorite type of frosting. Stable, thick, silky. It is not as sweet as others buttercreams and it is ideally suited for fondant.
- 3 Egg whites
- 200g/7 oz granuled sugar
- 250g/9oz unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a medium large pot add water and bring to a simmer.
- Place bowl over pot of simmering water. Bowl should be over the steam, not touching water.
- Add egg whites sugar and into a bowl. Whisk together.
- Whisk until sugar dissolved. You should not feel any sugar granules when rubbing mixture between fingers.
- Place the bowl on your stand mixer and whip the mixture until stiff peaks form
- Add soft butter. One tablespoon at a time.
- Add vanilla extract and mix it in.
- Beat the buttercream for 10-15 minutes until smooth and thick.